Back to Basics!
The next 2-3 weeks I will be writing about DHEA and Pregnenolone, two hormones of more importance than many people know.
First, there is a cascade of how hormones are made. It starts with cholesterol! Not only is cholesterol not a bad guy, it is one of the most vitally important substances in your body.
Cholesterol is the precursor of all steroid hormones and many doctors are on a mission to get rid of cholesterol. Why?
Steroid Hormone Cascade
- Cholesterol converts to Pregnenolone.
- Pregnenolone converts to 1 of 3 different hormones.
- DHEA converts to Testosterone
- Testosterone converts to Estrogen
- Progesterone converts to Aldosterone
- Cortisol is an end hormone as it does not convert into another hormone.
Pregnenolone is nicknamed ” the mother hormone”. It is a precursor hormone to all other steroid hormones. Made in the brain it is referred to as a neurosteroid. It is mostly made in the adrenal glands, followed by the ovaries and testes.
What Does Pregnenolone Do In the Body? Why is it important?
- It is the most potent memory enhancer in our bodies.
- It is the most important hormone in maintaining cognitive functioning.
- Promotes logical thinking
- It reduces the risk of dementia.
- It alleviates anxiety.
- It alleviates depression.
- It is a potent anti-inflammatory.
- It can improve mental health disorders
- Low levels can be used as a premature marker for Alzheimers.
- Improves energy mentally and physically
- Protects the brain!
- Helps reverse PTSD in Traumatic Brain Injury patients
- Helps you sleep at night
Before Prednisone was developed, Pregnenolone was used as an anti-inflammatory for asthma, chrons disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other inflammatory diseases.
I will guarantee, you now know 100% more than your physicians!
Ask your MD what pregnenolone is and what it does sometime. I would be interested in hearing what they say.
Have an awesome day! And take your pregnenolone if your levels are low or low normal!